th365thli
SJB Newbie
SJB Newbie
Topic Author

Calero struggles!

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Three Calero trips to talk about.

First trip was in the middle of December before the rains. Had to dropshot at around 40 feet of water to pick up 3. Water was low and cold. Very tough bite, and if you were fishing from shore you were probably s't out of luck. They were very deep.

Fished this past Friday and Saturday after all the rains. I was hoping the water would be high, providing new cover for the fish. Unfortunately, I guess they let out a lot of water as the water level was about the same, except a lot muddier. Cold, muddy, low water, minimal wind. Possibly the WORST conditions you can fish a reservoir already devoid of shoreline cover. Friday I tried fishing shallow anyway and couldn't catch anything. Saturday, I fished a jig very slow over rocks. Caught one fish, probably hit it on its head. Depth finder showed fish scattered.

Hoping these rains cause the water level to rise! Knowing how they manage our reservoirs probably not though....

I also did two trips to Berryessa and the Delta in December. Both areas we used dropshots and jerkbaits and were able to catch them. If the water stays cold, low, and muddy, I would invest the time to go to those places instead of Calero!

Chennings
Super-Newbie
Super-Newbie

Re: Calero struggles!

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:23 am

I fished calero from noon to 4pm today. Same conditions as you said - cold, windy, murky, and water level seemed no different than usual. Fished shallow - spinnerbait, chatterbait, jerkbait. Fished deep - dropshot, crappie jigs. Nothing. We might need to be out of the rain season before fishing is viable again on Calero...

th365thli
SJB Newbie
SJB Newbie
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:32 pm

I fished calero from noon to 4pm today. Same conditions as you said - cold, windy, murky, and water level seemed no different than usual. Fished shallow - spinnerbait, chatterbait, jerkbait. Fished deep - dropshot, crappie jigs. Nothing. We might need to be out of the rain season before fishing is viable again on Calero...
Absolutely agree. Usually when the water is muddy it's because of rain, which SHOULD mean high water. Unfortunately that's not the case and it's just hard to locate fish and get fish to locate your bait.

If I had to go again I would probably through a black and blue jig with a rattle.....

jcab
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up! Not going to be hitting up Calero until later. 😎

Ronald McDonald
Super-Newbie
Super-Newbie

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:31 pm

I went to Calero last Saturday, after the rains
Water was higher up into the Tules, and was very muddy.
Temp was 52 degrees in shallow water
I read that the bass will come shallow on rising water to feed on things lifted off the newly submerged shoreline
So I tried a white chatter bait so they can hear and see.
No joy.
Tried a baby brush hog Carolina rig
No joy
Maybe go somewhere else until less muddy and warmer water