Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Re: Marina Beach Stripers

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:55 pm

A surf fishing trip sounds like a winner Kev.  Manresa has been good to me in the past during the winter months for big 2-3 lb barred surf perch.  My best luck has been when it starts to coold own around October and into the winter months.  

I let you know.  

Glenn

dmun
God Member
God Member

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:34 pm

I heard there are a series of ponds off the salinas river and there are some big stripers stuck not able to get out ?

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:06 pm

I've seen little ones, 8-12" at the mouth of the river when it stops flowing but nothing of size.  When we miss out on the rains the river all but dries up.  

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:20 pm

Even though the striper season has all but gone there are still a few being caught.  A co-worker of mine was just at Marina Beach at the Dunes Drive access and spoke to a guy who had a striped bass that was approximately 40" long in his best guestimation.  The fisherman was using either frozen anchovies or sardines.  It's 2:15 now...the fish was caught around 12 noon.  

The schools of stripers may not be around but it goes to show you that not all of them leave the bay.  My personal best was at Carmel Beach in February 2006...39 inches.  I caught that one on a small 1 1/2" Kalin perch grub.

Other than this isolated incident nothing else to report.  

Murf

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:10 pm

Glenn, thanks for contiually updating this thread.  Not as much discussion goes on here about saltwater, but I enjoy your updates and keeping informed of how things are going on the other side of the hill.  Now I just got to plan a day to get over there.  :)

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:42 am

Thanks Murf and to all that have peaked at this thread.   Unfortunately not that many fish have been caught down here lately.  

I was hoping 2007 was going to be a killer season for the striped bass at Marina Beach but it never panned out.  Unfortunately every season is unpredictable.  In 2005 from June to August we were able to hit the beach just about every day and catch at least one keeper bass if not limit during the evening bite.  2006 started off hot but fizzled out real quick kind of like this year.  

I'll keep posting to the thread if something comes up like the other day.  Some of the guys I fish with have going up to Manresa/Sunset beach near Watsonville/Santa Cruz are because word is that stripers are still being caught up there.(That info I can not confirm)  I may try to head up that way next weekend to see and talk to the guys up there for a first hand report.

The big one caught off of Marina Beach didn't surprise me.  The big cows are usually caught late in the season anyway.  You just don't see the quanity but are able to land quality if you hook up.

By the way...Is there a way to spell check before sending out a post? (Besides proof reading)

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:03 pm

Talked to one of the local striper guys today.  His brother caught a 15lber last week using long strips of squid for bait.  No one throwing tin or poppers...   Another isolated catch and again a quality catch instead of quantity.

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:26 pm

Drove by the beach this moring around 0830 and saw about 5 guys plugging for bass in front of the parking lot.  Didn't get a chance to walk down there to find out any info but I think it has to do with the guy that caught the cow the other day.  

When word of a big fish gets out everyone arms themselves with their favorite popper or lure and gives it one last try.  I'm hoping to get out this weekend myself...you never know what's out there and you can't catch them sitting in your living room.  

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:25 pm

The wave action has been very nice and consistent.  A couple of die hard old timers were fishing with whole sardines south of the marina beach parking lot.  One guy caught 2 stipers.  15 lb and 27 lbs.  

I guess the fish are around but not in great numbers.  Even though the water is nice, you will have to find a clear spot.  The green leafy seaweed has come to shore along the beach.  

Not great news but at least there are fish still being caught this late in the season.  

I'll keep you posted as I get the info.

h00kie
Super-Newbie
Super-Newbie

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:41 am

Hello Glenn,
Thanks for the updates. It is nice to read up on the going ons down there.
I mainly fish the waters up north but did put some time in the SC/Monterey waters this summer. It was a nice change from the frigid/rough waters that I'm used to fishing. Tho' most of my catch down here did not equal in size, it was nice to be able to fish without waders on and have a chance to land multiple species in the same body of water using the same set-up and lure.

I haven't put away my salt stick yet and will be going for them late season stripers when I get a chance. May be we'll hook up one of these days.

h00kie

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks Hookie,  

Unfortunately the striper season is never a predictable one.  Sometimes it hot and sometimes not.  Although there were never strong numbrs this season, those who caught fish found quality ones.  

Surf perch in the 2-3 lbs range should start to show up in the Monterey Bay soon.  I'm going to start a thread on perch fishing in a couple of weeks.    I'm new to the freshwater game but will continue to pursue a large mouth bass of double digit size.

There are still some stripers of good size being caught in the area but nothing that is consistent.  I'll keep posting as long as I get reliable or first hand info.

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:46 pm

Just when I thought the striper season was all but over...  I started the F-250 at 0600 AM to warm up.  Got out my favorite perch rig.  Re-tied everything and put on a new hook.  Drove out to the Marina Beach parking lot and saw that the windsock was barey moving.  I knew today was the day I would find the 3 lb perch.  

As I entered the parking lot, the sun was just starting to make its rays visible.  To my surprise, the parking lot was full of cars.  There must have been about 15 cars already in the parking lot.  That could only mean on thing at 0610 AM on a Sunday morning.  Sure enough there were about 20 guys lined up in front of a deep hole just south of the parking lot.  I knew that meant the striped bass were in town.  

I wanted to avoid the crowd and seaweed so I walked north to my favorite hole.  As soon as I get there, i witness a guy reel in a 22" striper.  Long story short I didn't catch a striper...I was only set up for perch.  

I started the interview process as I passed by guys using anchovies for bait.  The stripers have been back in for the last 4 days.  Although they are not in big schools stripers are being caught evey morning by guys soaking anchovies, shrimp from Alterson's or sardines.  

They are getting there before the sun comes up.  One guy told me tide times didn't matter.  If it's low just fish the deep holes as you would at high tide.  

Not sure how long this will last but if you have the time you should get out there first thing in the morning.  There is a lot of seaweed in the water.  Just have to find the clear spots.  Seemed like everyoneI talked to ont he beach either has hooked up or has caught fish up to 17 lbs. within the last four days.  Work schedule is not going to allow me toget out there in the AM so I'll just have to drive by and admire the catch as they come in.  

I'll keep you posted.  Talk about a late run.  Some fish are better that no fish at all.    

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:55 am

Hello Everyone.   I just got home after spending 8 days down in San Diego for the wildland fires.  Hope to get out this weekend to find out what's been happening at Marina Beach.  

Thanks for those of you who keeping checking this thread.  

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:52 pm

Water has been looking good but no stripers in sight.  I think the season has finally passed.  

The winter months is when the barred surf perch action heats up.  I'll be breaking out the perch gear and will soon start a post about perch fishing.  Thanks for those of you who have been checking the thread.  My sources from Marina to Santa Cruz have all put there striper gear away for the season.  

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:45 pm

I've been checking the numbers and looks as though you guys/gals are still peaking at this thread....Thank you but sorry there's nothing to add this time of year.  

I've got my new 2008 license in hand and will start venturing out to find the surf perch.  I'll be starting a new thread on that topic as soon as the weather clears up.  

Glenn