Right on Glenn! Thanks
Catch & Release

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Re: Marina Beach Stripers

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:29 pm

Had to work again...three days in a row.  Had time to stop by the beach this morning.  The water was nice by I could see a lot of seaweed.  A couple of guys were fishing in front of the parking lot.  Have'nt had a chance to talk to any locals for a report.  

Hoping to scout it out this weekend.  

Glenn

Opps, almost forgot.  Did get reliable info from a friend who fished Seacliff Beac near the Cement Ship.  They caught a few legal stripers last week but it was hit and miss up there too.  

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:33 pm

FINALLY SOME FIRST HAND INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!
Went out on 07-01-2007 around 1030 AM and fished the area at the mouth of the Salinas River.  There were fisherman lined up so I thought, "Today is my day!"  Fished for four hours with a hairraiser.  Nothing for me....Yes, that's right...nothing for me...not even a hit.  

Guys were cathing small fish 14-16 inch range.  Talk to a Fish and Game Warden who is also an avid fisherman.  He said Stripers are being caught off of Manresa Beach.  He also said that White Bass are being caught off of the Capitola Pier and by boaters fishing the local water there.  

The fish that were caught were by bait fisherman.  I saw guys throwing everything from hairraisers, pencil poppers, kastmasters, and swimbaits.  

The water was clean and the wave action was perfect for catching Stripers.  The full moon is not helping.  If the moon is full this coming weekend, I'm going to try a night outing.  That's alway fun fishing under the moonlight.  

I keep you posted as I get realiable info.  Still spotty action.  Water is dirty with seaweed at Marina Beach beach but seems to clean up if you go north.  

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:27 am

The water is very clean of any debris as of 07-08-2007.  Hope to get out this evening for a couple of hours.  No new news...yet.

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Weird weather pattern is in.  There's been virtually no wind on the coast for the past two days during sunset and it's been very warm and humid.  High tide is in the evening but the ocean is like a lake with barely any wave action.  

Some say, "It's earthquake weather!"  

There has been light clouds out in the horizon.  During sunset you get a range of colors from reds, orange, purple, and a violet color.  Awsome sunsets to say the least.  

Striped bass are very scattered.  The old timers are still out there with bait even though there has been no wave action in the evenings.  Two guys caught stipers yesterday during the late afternoon.  They were just south of the Marina Beach parking lot.  The accessed the beach at what we call "Cardiac Hill."  Their fish were about 24" caught on frozen anchovies.  

The water has been clear of seaweed.  

If you want to check out an awsome sunset and you're into photography, now is the time to hit the beach.

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:33 pm

Thanks to you all who keep checking this thread.  I was working today but had a chance to get by the beach.  The waters rolling back in and the wave action looks better than ever.  No seaweed was in sight.  

The million dollar questions is, Where are the striped bass?  Bait fisherman are catching a few here and there but the fish just aren't congregating in one spot.  A lot of the guys throwing artificials have been taking a break, myself included, because our arms are getting tired.  

I'll keep searching for current info but for now not much happening at Marina Beach.  

Marce
God Member
God Member

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:45 pm

Nice updates Glenn. Keep up the good work!

Marce

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:32 pm

Hello All!!

Sorry for not posting any new new info.  I've been busy at work and at home too.  Have'nt had time to even log on the computer.  It's been about that long since I've thrown a lure....freshwater or salt.  

I'll try to get out this weekend and make some phone calls for any new news.  Nobody's called me at home so I know the school hasn't been around.  If it doesn't pick up soon it probably won't...at least for this summer.  

If nothing is happening in the next few weeks I'll be changing out my gear for perch fishing.  Not that's another passion of mine.  I'll be starting up a new thread for those seeking info on perch fishing.  

Talk at you all later.  Thanks for the views and sorry for not posting lately.

Kevkc
God Member
God Member

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:30 pm

One of these days I will get off my butt and go surf fish Sand Dollar beach.
Catch & Release

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:01 pm

I'm finally off this coming weekend.  I'm going to hit the honey holes I know of between the sand plant and the Salinas River.  Hope to have a report for you guys this weekend.  

I don't want to jinks myself, but I think the stripers are not going to come in in great numbers.  Some think it's due to the lack of the spring showers.  No Rain!!!!!!

I'll keep you posted.  

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:25 pm

Nothing new to pass on guys/gals.  I don't think we are going to see the big run of stripers this season.  

I'm an avid surf perch fisherman to and will be starting a thread for that topic soon.  Just want to make sure the striper season is on its way out.  

Thanks for all the contributions to the thread.

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:22 pm

Ran into a "Die Hard" striped bass fisherman who uses primarily cut bait.  He pulled into the parking lot early this morning at Marina Beach while I was driving through while at work.   No, he wasn't fishing.  He just stopped by to see if anyone else was fishing.  

What this tells me is that the fish are gone...at least for now.  He truly is an old timer.  He feels that we didn't get enough rain this spring which kept the big fish from coming in and congregating along the peninsula.  

Even though the stripers in the bay can not migrate up the Salinas, Carmel or the other river in Watsonville/Santa Cruz, the fish can sense the flow of fresh water during the spring rains.  Hence, no spring rains, no fresh water flow and no big striped bass congregating.  

He's a lot older that I am so I didn't question his theory.  For now no new news.

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:15 pm

Talk to a local game warden couple of days ago.  The stripe bass have been very spotty.  Only a few heard of being caught near Marina and beaches near Watsonville.

If you haven't been watching the news, a surfer was attacked by a shark today at Marina Beach.  He suffered a pretty serious bite would to his side.  

I think the stripers are just about non existent at least near the Marina Beach area.  

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:42 pm

This may be the last post for the striper fishing at Marina Beach.  Nothing has been caught withing 5 miles of the beach...at least that's what my sources have been telling me.  

I'm new to the freshwater game and tooning.  That will be my focus now.  To read more and to get out to some of the great places people have been sharing.

Thanks to all of you have checked the thread and contributed.  I'm an avid perch fisherman too.  I may start a thread on that topic soon when the temperature starts to cool a bit.  That's when the bigger perch start to show up.  

Hope to meet some of you at the local lakes.

Glenn  

Kevkc
God Member
God Member

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 pm

I would be down for some surf fishing soon. I have fished a lot in the past near Manresa & Sand Dollar beaches.
Catch & Release