GBslayer
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Re: Marina Beach Stripers

Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:44 pm

Great report Glenn! Sorry it's taken so long to reply been busy getting the new boat up and ready to fish. Almost all the fish were caught right in the wave's.

Fish are also being caught on Popper's too from the beach.
Rip lip's!!!

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:25 am

Thanks GB.  I haven't had a chance to get out lately so I'm living vicariously through you guys.

GB's new boat + time to fish = more reports and photo's.  Yaaaahoooo!!!!!!

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:27 pm

First hand info finally!  Got out tonight about 7:00 pm and fished til it got dark.  Didn't catch a thing or even get a hit.  Started out in front of the parking lot.  A little windy with a lot of seaweed.  I walked north and found a clear spot.  There were four of us walking, one had a pencil popper, I had a hair raiser and the other guy had a fishtrap.  Not sure what the other was using.  Nobody got a bite.  

I think the morning is going to be a better producer.  One of the guys was out at Palm Beach ( I think he said last week) and landed a 15 lb'er.  The fish are around but still spotty.  Sounds like Santa Cruz area is the place to be.  I'll post as I get the info.  Sorry but no spectacula story or pictures....this time!

GBslayer
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:44 pm

Just got back from Capitola and nobody was catching anything. Talked to some of the locals who are there all the time and they were catching bait, but there was nothing feeding on the bait. The bite has slowed way down from the past couple of weeks. The boats though were bringing in the fish. I talked to the guy's coming in and a lot of guy's had limit's of Salmon from 15-35lbs. One boat had 5 Halibut and a bunch Rockcod and Lingcod.

So , I would have to say I'm pretty excited about getting out on Friday with the boat. I think I'm gonna go for Halibut, Seabass, and Rockcod with live bait and swimbait's for the maiden voyage just to make sure that everything is running good before I take that run for Salmon out at Soquel Hole.

I'll post report on Friday and maybe some pic's if I can get a digital camera.
Rip lip's!!!

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Capitola was hot last week for the striped bass.  Hopefully they're all swiming down towards Marina.  My hooks are sharp...I'll be waiting!!!!!!!!

Jim Jr
God Member
God Member

Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:42 pm

God i wanna fish for stippers so bad but dont have much gear got some bait casters and some brike backs(there old they were my pops)but they work got limited gear but would like to go fishing for some stippers!!!!! ;D Any1 interested in takin a noob to catch his first stipper!! :(Lol Remember got some limited gear im not a saltwater fisherman so im all hooked up for bass.. :'(
Kickn-Bass Like No Other!

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Jim Jr,

I'll be glad to take you up on that one.  I have the gear and lures...you would just need to show up.  Right the now the bite has been slow and spotty.  When the bite is on at Marina Beach you can catch your limit consistently without having to venture far from the parking lot.  

The last couple of outings I walked a 3-4 mile stretch of beach without a bite.   Needless to say that was a lot of walking and casting.  

I'll definitely PM you and post when the bite is on.  All the locals seem to think it's going to be a good year for stripers.  

Glenn

Marce
God Member
God Member

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:52 pm

Jim Jr,

I'll be glad to take you up on that one.  I have the gear and lures...you would just need to show up.  Right the now the bite has been slow and spotty.  When the bite is on at Marina Beach you can catch your limit consistently without having to venture far from the parking lot.  

The last couple of outings I walked a 3-4 mile stretch of beach without a bite.   Needless to say that was a lot of walking and casting.  

I'll definitely PM you and post when the bite is on.  All the locals seem to think it's going to be a good year for stripers.  

Glenn
Count me in on that PM Glenn. Please!

I'd like to film it and put the wireless mic on one of you guys to test out the equipment.

Let me know.

Marce

Jim Jr
God Member
God Member

Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:24 am

Jim Jr,

Glenn
Count me in on that PM Glenn. Please!

I'd like to film it and put the wireless mic on one of you guys to test out the equipment.

Let me know.

Marce
OMG That would be so sick Marce!!! Im totally in for that!!! :D ;D ;)
Glenn thanks for takin time to invite me man like i said i got some limited stuff i mainly fish for bass i got a lot of cranks and jerks so if any of that would work please let me know so ican take with...And Glenn cant wait to hear from ya man would really be sick!!!!Thanks again!!!!! :D

Jim

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:38 pm

Marce,

Last summer I ran into a guy coming off of the beach dragging a striped bass.  We traded stories then he pulled out a video camera.  It showed him making one cast and hooking the fish.  There was no commentary just a lot of yelling because he was so excited to capture his hook up on tape.  

I'm hoping things will get better quick.  I'll be sure to send out the PM's as soon as the bite gets consistent.  

RICK
God Member
God Member

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:46 pm

Hey Glen can I get a pm too?  :)
Im American cause I take the "G" out of Fishing... FISHIN'

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:23 pm

Absolutely Rick,  

I just hate to set up a trip when it's hit and miss like it is now.  We could be walking miles of beach without a bite.  That can get discouraging.  When the bite is on I'll PM you too.  

Jim Jr
God Member
God Member

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Man i cant wait,wont matter to me if i didnt get a bite,would just be fun to acctually get a saltwater trip in,a day fishin is better than a day at work...Lol

Jim

Kevkc
God Member
God Member

Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:20 am

Is the striper action still good?
Catch & Release

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Hey Kev,

Striper action is still spotty around the Marina Beach area.  All my fish have been under size (14-16") but there have been fish caught in the 25-27 inch range.  Those fish were caught with bait near the mouth of the Salinas River even though there is not running water into the ocean.  

I'm working today but stopped by the beach.  The water looked dirty with seaweed in front of the parking lot.  Im sure there are clear spots north or south of the beach.  

I haven't made a recent trip because of work.  I'll try to get some reliable info soon.  As for now, no hot bite....yet.  

Keep us posted for those of you in the Santa Cruz area.