mark

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Re: Marina Beach Stripers

Tue May 22, 2007 10:51 pm

Hey Mark,

I've been working the past couple of days and haven't had time to read the posts.  It was nice meeting you and I still have your card.  I will definitely e-mail you with my number.  

The water is starting to clean up a little from all that seaweed.  The area just north of the sand plant to the mouth of the river is very clean.(but a long walk).  I fished there on Sunday and did not get a bite.  I was leaving about 4pm and ran into two guys that were heading out to the place I just left.  They were using soft shell sand crabs and said they had caught 10 lb fish on Saturday.  

Fish and still scattered from Seaside to Watsonville/Santa Cruz.  Guys fishing at first light are doing better than in the afternoon...I know you're not a morning person.  

The morning fisherman are using pencil poppers because there's no wind in the AM.  No particular color...anything that pops.  Next week should be good fishing in the AM.  I believe that high tide will be back in the mornings next week.  

I hope to get out there one day this weekend.  I let you know how it goes.

Glenn

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2007 4:31 pm

Went out on 05-24-2007 from 6 pm to 8:30 pm.  Got one nice hit just south of the Marina Beach Parking lot.  The fish hit my sand crab imitation close to shore.  Not sure what I was thinking but it surprised me.  I hesitated to set the hook waiting for the big pull but instead nothing.  I realized that fish initially hit my bait then ran towards me.  Unfortunately it spit my bait out before I could set the hook.  Almost knocked myself out setting the hook so hard.  

Still spotty but fish are showing from Seaside to Watsonville/Santa Cruz area.  Every type of bait you can think of is catching fish right now.  Put the time in and you'll eventually hook up.  It can only get better.  One guy I talked to has hooked up 51 to date.  Mostly undersized fish but nevertheless he's hooking up.  

I'll keep you posted.

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:05 am

Not much has changed in the last couple of weeks.  The water had cleared up a lot.  Fish are still scattered.  Hope to have some first hand info this coming weekend.  

GBslayer
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:34 am

They're thick in the Seacliff and Capitola area right now. I'm going to start heading up there on regular basis here soon!!!
Rip lip's!!!

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:19 am

Thanks GB,

Where is a good place to access Seacliff?  I've fished Capitola Pier a couple of times but mostly stopped at Sunset Beach in Watsonville.  I like throwing a hair raiser for stripers.  Any info would be appreciated.  I'd like to venture up that way more often but I'm not real familiar with the beach access points.  

Thanks

GBslayer
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:50 pm

I go to the New Brighton State Beach entrance and start right below the parking lot area. The fish frequent this area often trapping the bait at the North end of the beach.

I know how good Marina beach can be though too Glenn!
Last edited by GBslayer on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rip lip's!!!

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:52 pm

Thanks BG,

New Brighton State Beach it is.  The striper bite in Marina is still hit and miss.  No one area is producing consistent numbers....yet.  The season is starting out really good for us.  The last time it started out this way ( 4 years ago) the bite was on every other week.  When you found the fish, they would hang out in the same area for a week or more at a time.  

I'm looking for that kind of fishing again.  As I get reliable and or first hand reports I'll get them out to you guys.  Since it's been slow here, I think a road trip is the next best thing.  

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:56 pm

Hello all,

I had to work today but was able to drive by Marina Beach.  First off, what a beautiful day!  We've been hit with a string of foggy/overcast days so the sunshine with minimal was very nice to say the least.  

The water from the parking lot looked very clean with no seaweed in site.  That was this morning about 1100.  As you know, that could change with the next in coming tide.  

Hoping to get out this weekend so I can post some first hand info.  

GBslayer
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:43 am

On 6-13-07 there was 31 Seabass hooked, but only 9 landed. Also, 4 Striper's, and 2 keeper Halibut all from Capitola pier. The bait is so thick in there you could walk on it right now.

I'll be heading up there today or tomorrow for sure to toss out some live "chove's" & "dine's" while the bite is hot!!!
Rip lip's!!!

Kevkc
God Member
God Member

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:53 pm

JimmyG went out yesterday on a boat when all they had to do was stay near the shore for quality fish. They ended up with a few rock fish.
Catch & Release

Jim Jr
God Member
God Member

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:03 pm

JimmyG went out yesterday on a boat when all they had to do was stay near the shore for quality fish. They ended up with a few rock fish.
Kev let JimmyG borrow ur computer man that guy never called me bak errrrrrrrr >:( LoL
Kickn-Bass Like No Other!

Kevkc
God Member
God Member

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:21 pm

I gave that dude your number, I don't know what he's doing. I will tell him again later today.
Catch & Release

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:50 pm

GB,  
What part of the pier is the best?  I would think the best spot would be where the first set of waves break.  Is this true or is there a "honey hole" along the pier?  I'm hoping to get out there Sunday AM after I get off of work.  Are there any guys throwing lures along the beach near the pier?

Thanks for contributing to the thread guys!!!!!!  

Glenn
God Member
God Member
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:42 am

Didn't get that chance to get out this weekend.  The water was nice and clean from what I could see from the beach parking lot over the weekend.  The wind has finally started to die down.  

Second had info is that guys were catching stripers near the mouth of the Salinas River.   The area they're talking about is refered to as, "Long Walk."  The west end of Del Monte Boulevard turns into a dirt road in between an artichoke field. At the end of the road is a game preserve parking lot where everyone parks.  From there, the beach is another 1/2 mile if not a little more away...hence the name, Long Walk.  

Fish and Game do a pretty good job patrol the parking lot during striper season because there are a lot of guys that park out there.  However,  because it is in a remote area, there have been cars broken into.  I for one have had my battery stolen out of my vehicle while parked out there.  

Sorry no first hand info but the guys I talked to are good friends and I believe their reports.