Re: Marina Beach Stripers

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:35 pm

copy that.  Thanks.  Another big zero this last Sunday :-(

beachpotato
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:08 am

Glen if you were going to pick a beach to fish tomorrow morning, Friday the 9th of March-which would it be ??? :-)  Secondly are you fishing for Perch right now, hoping to catch a striper or are you fishing for Stripers when you start out?  Beachpotato.

beachpotato
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:09 am

Went out to Palm State Beach last Friday morning (Pajaro Dunes) and got my first 2 Stripers of the season. One at 18 inches and the other at 16 inches. The tide was low and flat for a ways out so I thought i'd use a Hopkins lure and get out a bit further. I found a hole that was deeper close to shore and nailed the first one. The second came up closer to shore on an SP minnow. I didn't like the fact that both trebles were hooked into this fish.

Glen or anyone else out there do you replace the trebles on the SP minnow? Do you change them at all, and if you do what changes do you make to it?

I know Glen nailed a huge number of stripers in the last week or so, saw it on another site-Congrats Glen.

So it's time for Striper talk- good luck and hope for a good long season at the beach.

p.s. oh yeah Perch fishing still tough-I did get two Perch on Friday as well.

Spud -out.

blckshirt98
God Member
God Member

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Yeah buddy! Grats on the stripers!

beachpotato
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:36 am

Thanks Blckshirt. Glenns been catching em. They are out there in numbers now it seems. I struck out at Pajaro Dunes last weekend. But will come back at them this weekend in Marina, Seaside, or Salinas River beach. Good fishing.

beachpotato
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:08 am

Managed a couple of stripers yesterday at the beach. Early about 6:30 or so with a purple lure, named "Blurple" by Joe Baggs. (find him on line) casts really well wiggles underwater on the retrieve. Interesting it doesn't have a lip that makes it dive. But it is subsurface. They also have the bone colored lure as well. About 6 inches long. Anyway yesterday got two on this lure. Seaside. Usually after striper bite slows in the morning I like to switch over and try and catch some Perch. Anyone catching any? Is it me or has Perch been super slow for a long time.

th365thli
SJB Newbie
SJB Newbie

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:32 pm

In regarding perch fishing, I've never had much luck from the shore, in terms of size. I'd catch ones a little bigger than the palm of my hand, but no giants like I see people catch on youtube :p

beachpotato
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:30 am

365, in the past years I can go out and get 3-4 perch and occasionally zero. Or I can go out and get 10 and find a bunch. But some reason this year the last 3 months for me only anyway it's been super slow for Perch. I guess some years are better than others. Right now my focus is on Stripers and they are in.

After throwing lures for 3 hours after stripers i'll settle down and try for some Perch just to mix it up.

Good fishing out there-beachpotato.

beachpotato
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:47 am

went to Manresa Beach yesterday got there around 6am. Worked a bone colored lure called a Swarter which has excellent movement in the water just below the surface. And it casts really well given it's slim profile. I worked that for a while @ low tide. Switched to swim baits both light and dark. Nothing except for a couple of hits on the lure but no hookups. About 10 am or so I ran into a guy I knew that fished Carmel Beach, named Bob. Hadn't seen him in 2 years but we actually remembered each other :-). Anyway the spot I was in he said he had hit 5 stripers on the day before-Saturday. We fished there a bit with nothing. Bob left and the tide was getting to its max point. I figured let's keep fishing. I put on a metal lure, Mickey Jig with a single hook and bucktail. Worked it behind the waves and after 3rd cast locked into a small striper (about 16 inches). 2 cast later I hooked into a nice one about 21 inches and nice and fat. They both went back into the water. I figured I found the honey hole :-). Not so much after that I fished for about an hour more and called it a day. That's my report Beach potato out. Good fishing out there Stripers are here in numbers.