Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Fish planting in Santa Clara County lakes. 
Super-Newbie
Super-Newbie

Does anybody know why they are not planting trout in lakes around Santa Clara County. I have been looking at the Fish and Game site for the last 2-3 months and have seen nothing. I normally fish at Sandy wool lake in Milpitas and in the past years they have been planting it around this time of year about every 2 weeks. But this year I have seen none except during Feb and March where planted probably 2 times. Any opinion or facts would be nice to know.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:14 pm
SJB Junior Member
SJB Junior Member

i would imagine there is no planting going on in santa clara anymore. The water temperature is increasing to much to support trout and oxygen levels in the shallow lakes where they do plant (campbell perc ponds and sandy wool) would become much to low at depths were trout would be able to live. I can get much more in depth with this if you would like lol, but those are the main two reasons.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:53 pm
SJB Full Member
SJB Full Member

Here is your answer and check there web site I find this very helpful especially when I want to fish trout and where http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/Defaul ... anta+Clara but in San Juan Batista at McApline lake they still stock but its a 20 dollar fee to fish for adults 15 for youth and 10 for those who don't fish and just watch fun for kids not fun for the wallet

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:39 am
Profile YIM

BigBearBass408 wrote:
Here is your answer and check there web site I find this very helpful especially when I want to fish trout and where http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/Defaul ... anta+Clara but in San Juan Batista at McApline lake they still stock but its a 20 dollar fee to fish for adults 15 for youth and 10 for those who don't fish and just watch fun for kids not fun for the wallet

Thanks for this link! I was looking around and it looks like there are only 4 lakes in Santa Clara that have been approved for stocking by DFG - http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/PSEP/PublicWaters.aspx (Cunningham Lake, Spring Valley Pond, Campbell Perc Pond, Sandywool Lake)

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:58 am
Super-Newbie
Super-Newbie

The Center for Biological Diversity Lawsuit against the DFG some years back is the primary reason for lack of trout plants in the state. That's why Coyote is no longer stocked, for example.

The compounding factor is that certain water districts like Santa Clara County don't particularly give a rip if trout are ever stocked in those lakes again. So they do nothing, or do it very slowly, when it comes to doing the necessary assessments to have the lakes approved for stocking. Everything I've heard and seen indicates that the Santa Clara County water district in particular does not care for recreation on their lakes at all. It would be much more convenient to them to close the lakes altogether.

Other water and park districts have made big efforts to do the assessments and get trout stocked again. Example: East Bay Regional Parks doing the assessments to have places like Del Valle stocked.

The inconsistency with which assessments have been done is an embarrassment to the state and it's anglers. The public's opportunity to catch stocked trout should not depend on the individual whims of water boards, parks districts and county officials. But right now today it does.

They have the power because DFG doesn't have the resources or care to allocate the resources to make the assessments happen. Thank you Santa Clara County Water District. Thank you Center for Biological Diversity. (8-|

Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]